Principal Level Designer (VR Games)
We are nDreams, an award-winning independent developer and publisher, delivering world-leading interactive VR experiences. Our new VR projects are a leap forward for the studio and we are looking for talented people to help turn them into a reality.
We’ve recently announced our latest title, Phantom: Covert Ops, a stealth action game redefined for virtual reality and once you’ve seen what we’re up to, we’re convinced you’ll want to be involved…
We are looking for someone that sees the potential in VR and to apply themselves to the studio’s goal of trail blazing fresh, creative and immersive uses of every discipline, to converge on truly innovative games and experiences.
As the Principal Level Designer you will responsible for managing and leading the level designers. You will be able to navigate comfortably between a mix of hands on detail and contributing to the wider picture. Collaborating closely with the Creative Director, Game Directors and Level Designers in helping to ensure nDreams develops world class games and experiences. Through experience, direction and measurable performance leadership you will mentor and elevate members of the level design team.
- As the main point of contact of Level Design across the studio projects you will manage and lead world class level design output across multiple projects, from concept through to final product release.
- You will lead design implementation of environmental locations, mission scenarios, interactive elements, etc. Iterating up to the highest quality.
- Ensure work is appropriately developed, presented, documented and communicated throughout the Game Team and wider Development Team.
- Work closely with design team members to plan the work of other designers. Managing their efforts and determining a schedule according to priorities.
- Help continually assessing and improving the design implementation pipeline and processes, ensuring that nDreams methodologies stay at the forefront of industry best practice, are commercially efficient and well organised.
- Manage, mentor and raise the standard of Level Designers technical expertise and ability to apply best Level Design practices.
- Competently be able to measure employees’ success, supporting with consistent and regular feedback.
- Be an outstanding, highly skilled and experienced Level Designer.
- High level of technical expertise at using Unreal and ideally Unity to design, implement and iterate on levels and prototypes.
- Be able to use and teach others level design software, such as Unreal and /or Unity to the highest level.
- Creativity, critical and analytical sense, structure and rigor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, documentation skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts succinctly and effectively.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team.
- Strong performance and accountability being driven by results and achieving targets. Paying attention to detail and committed to producing work of the highest standard within budget.
- Ability to plan organise and prioritise work. Identifying and managing risk of workload both for yourself and of those in your teams.
- Deal comfortably with people at all levels. Influencing others through reasoned argument that a recommended course of action is the most appropriate and is correspondingly open to influence by others.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Level Designer.
- Good general knowledge of most all aspects of game development processes from concept to completion.
- You will have a passion for VR and games across multiple platforms.
- Experience of supervising designers.
- Knowledge of competitive products and a variety of gameplay genres and platform
- A passion for VR and games across multiple platforms.
- Be able to use prototyping software, such as unity to the highest level.
- Agile /Scrum experience would be an advantage.
- Shipped a AAA title.
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our small but growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, share options, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, open plan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.
Our upcoming titles are bigger, better and different to anything we’ve worked on previously: Once you’ve seen what we’re up to, we’re convinced you’ll want to be involved…